Tuesday, January 11, 2011

{'my' goodbye}

i knew the day was coming soon.
it's clearly in view now, despite my dark-colored goggles.
today on the way home from school, evan asked me, "do you know what my favorite word in the whole world is?" i asked. he replied, "mom."
I was slow.
He then asked me "will it be okay if i I start calling you mom instead of mommy?"
big sigh. crack through the heart.
"yes, evan, if you are ready, it is fine."
"are you sad?"
"just a little, but it's an okay sad."
"well, i'll call you mommy for a little while longer then."
silence on my part. {in other words, possible guilt trip}
he proceeded to tell me he has two wiggly teeth on bottom.
i nearly skidded off the road, hit a tree and tumbled down the hill.
but, i didn't.
i just drove.

1 comment:

Tonia Hobbs said...

Oh I can so relate to this post. . .my Buddy. . .