Monday, August 29, 2011

{hiding them in my heart}

This is an area of my life that I have neglected since childhood.
I say that with complete embarrassment.
But, thank GOD for that childhood as I actually hid
more in there than I ever thought I did.

It's not that I haven't started this journey before.  But, I always
quickly stopped because I was "sooo busy."  Very.poor.excuse. 

There is no excuse.  We've been challenged in Bible Study
of late.  A challenge I needed to get me in gear.

My life verse is:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and show me the way everlasting." 
 Psalms 139: 23-24

It was beyond humiliating when we started back a couple
weeks ago and I couldn't even remember what my life
verse was.  Just being brutally honest here.

But, I started myself a scripture notebook today.
Angela had made the the cutest one a couple years ago
when we were determined to do this together.  I'm using
a notebook this time so I can just throw it in my purse. 

I'm not trying to sprint here, I may be the turtle and not the hare.
But, that's okay.  I had rather soak them up so they stick. 

And, I am going about it differently this time.  I've written the 
ones as mentioned above that I did graft into my heart as a 
child.  I honestly didn't realize how many I actually carried with me.
Now, many of those actually do need brushed up on, but, 
the framework is still there.  That was a very nice discovery today! 
After I "refresh", I am going to keep it very, very simple. 
No deadlines, no quotas.  And, I don't want to simply memorize
the words, but, I think if I carry them with me throughout my days -
they will embed much more quickly with staying power.    
I am only going to work on one at a time.   And, plan on carrying
my little notebook along with placing them in different places
written through the house.   And, many of them, I plan
on working with the boys concurrently.  That will take 
care of two {well, three} birds with one stone. :)  

I'm sure I will fail at this much more often than I succeed.
I'll keep you posted!

And, before I "refresh" I found this today and LOVED it, so
I'm going to memorize it next....

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow
of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord,
 "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
Psalms 91: 1-2.  

No comments: