Thursday, December 9, 2010

{real}

Several weeks ago I was asked to take pictures of a large family as the mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. By looking at my calendar, I had no time to do it, however, I dug in to find some room. I am so thankful I did.
The above shot was nothing posed. I caught sight of it from the corner of my eye and swung my camera around to catch that moment. The family was beyond wonderful. But, the couple we focused on completely kept me captivated. They have withstood many years together and although the disease is clearly affecting her, the unspoken love they had for each other truly took my breath away. It was completely beautiful. This love was sweet and tender and apparent. I'm almost certain if I could have sat down and chatted with them they would have told me of many ups and downs. I'm sure she made him mad and he made her crazy. I'm sure it wasn't always rosey. But, they held on. And, are still doing so today. I still get teary just thinking about it. It spoke volumes. They didn't take the easy way out; they are finishing well. I guarantee you they would love to have another 50 years together; but, like all of us, their time together is fleeting. They are nearing the end of their journey together and it made my heart so heavy. But, at the same time, so happy. They held sweet hands. I caught him looking at her in the most adoring way. They laughed and quietly smiled at each other. It was an incredible testament that can be done and they've done it very well! That day was such a blessing to me.
Minutes after I loaded this snapshot into their gallery today, I heard the following song for the very first time......completely a 'moment' I wanted to share. Here are segments from the song "Real" by James Wesley....
"Real, is the hand you hold 57 years,
Real, is the band of gold trembling with fear,
and it's the first long tear down an old man's face,
Watching his angel slip away,
His heart so broke,
it's never gonna heal.
I call that real."
So, so true! What a legacy they are building......

4 comments:

Stacy Carter said...

So precious! Make me cry first thing this morning!

tracy said...

Had tears in my eyes just looking at the picture! Then to read the story.

Dr. Nick said...

Beautiful!

Mischelle Coston said...

Let's try that again with the right login ... "Beautiful!"