Monday, January 4, 2010

{pantry challenge}

sweet tonia's post got me to thinking. and, in some form or fashion i tend to do this with each new year. obviously, i should do it much more often than that!

but...saving, saving, saving....

ironically, i saw the new book featured on ABC this morning about saving big - not in depriving ourselves of the lattes, etc...but, the big savings related to our housing, vehicles, GROCERIES, etc. i am still feeling terrible today, but, in my haze i did hear her mention the pantry challenge - i've often started it, but never carried it though.

now to the confessional. h1n1? anyone who knows me...knows i spent weeks stockpiling for that. maybe, just MAYBE...i went a little overboard. but, keep in mind - my family tends to do things in extremes when it comes to illnesses - and we got pretty close with noah. ugh!

but, i am attacking my in-home grocery store. i'll keep you posted.

and, because i am not feeling too good - i did phone scott to pick up a necessity while he was out at the md today to avoid me just "running" in to WM tomorrow. that gets me everytime!

and, i hope to get back to erin's habits.....especially for the toiletry items. i am still using my stockpile from 2-3 years ago! it was amazing when i did it! but, erin is the QUEEN. btw, i think you need a blog just for us......your followers. ha! like you don't have your hands filled with a sweet bundle!

but, i'm on the bandwagon with you girls, although my start may be a little slow. but, am anxious to see the results.

and, i'll post any tidbits i run across on here as well. always fun!

ps....tonia on the sams thing.....i've had an MI (myocardial infarction, aka heart attack) at the check-out stand too....however, there are a few items i always get there that save me ALOT of $$$ and i compute what those will cost and only carry that amount of cash in with me. if i do run across a SUPER deal - then i have to walk back out to my car.....which to be honest, usually doesn't happen! :) some items that are staples for us there.....the precooked bacon, large cans of green beans, tomato sauce, bread, lettuce and the hb for scott's meatballs.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hey girl! I'm with you on the pantry challenge! I've actually cooked 4 "real" meals in 4 days. The most I have cooked since Beau was born. I have had to re-work my shopping trips with Beau, but now that Walgreens is in town, I am managing to go once a week with a good plan. My goal is to STOP EATING OUT as much as possible. I have felt like I had a good excuse to use the drive-thru lately, but I worked at the hospital on Saturday, and it made me remember just how hard I'm "workin for the money" and that I want to spend as little of it as possible:)