Thursday, November 20, 2008

{legacy}

i had a sweet conversation with a dear friend today. the conversation was emotional and very heavy at times. we discussed the book "thirty days to live" that our pastor has been discussing of late. truly - what would i do with my life if i knew i only had thirty days left. THIRTY days. what would YOU do? it would put alot of things in perspective very quickly. the big things would seem minute. the simple things would seem profound. i have a strong suspicion it would be those simple things i would immensely crave. it is amazing how our perspective with life and the circumstances we find ourselves in makes such a huge impact in our happiness......and peace.

and, preceding today's conversation, i've been thinking alot about what legacy i am leaving behind; particularly for my children. it can be overwhelming at times. this song so gets to me........

"legacy" by nicole nordeman

i don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
and i enjoy an accolade like the rest
you could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
at such n' such......it wouldn't matter much

i won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
we all need an "atta boy or atta girl"
but in the end i'd like to hang my hat on more besides
the temporary trappings of this world

i want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me?
did i choose to love? did i point to You enough to make a mark on things?
i want to leave an offering
a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
and leave that kind of legacy

i don't have to look to for or too long awhile
to make a lengthly list of all that i enjoy
it's an accumulating trinket and treasure pile
where moth and rust, theives and such will soon enough destroy

not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
just want to hear instead "well done" good and faithful one....


Truly, what else matters in this life? our relationship with christ, wrapping ourselves into our family and dear friends. i want my children to know beyond a doubt their mother's heart. they are what i will leave behind.

4 comments:

Tonia Hobbs said...

I love you, Shannon. You are special. A dear friend. A wonderful mother. A faithful wife. A thoughtful person... a Christian.
Love, Tonia

Sherry Drennan said...

That is so beautiful, Shannon. Thanks for sharing. I have also been trying to focus on the little things that matter the most. Darin and I were talking last night about something he dreamed about....my exact words were, "This is not a dress rehearsal!"

Kandis said...

Shannon,
I just felt like sharing a poem I wrote a little over 3 years ago. You brought it back to mind... Thanks for reminding me!

"My Legacy"
When I think about my legacy,
And all that it entails,
It makes me humble deep within,
For I fear I’m going to fail.
Fail to be a good example,
In the roles of life I play,
Loved ones and strangers just alike,
I want them to be able to say:
That I did the things I should have done,
I never compromised,
I loved the Lord with all my heart,
I sought favor in His eyes.
I stood up for what I believed in,
Even when I felt like giving up,
I had the faith to keep pressing on,
I showed others about God’s love.
I expressed the joy that filled my soul,
Laughing even in the trials,
I wasn’t afraid to shed a tear,
As I traveled my hardest miles.
I was the kind of wife,
The Lord would have me to be,
And through the trials we faced together,
To my husband, I lived faithfully.
I was the kind of mother,
That when push came to shove,
That my children always knew,
There was for them an unconditional love.
I was the kind of daughter,
Of which my parents could be proud,
I stayed true to what they taught,
Instead of following the crowd.
I was the kind of sister,
With always an ear to lend,
We were partners for life,
And best friends till the end.
I was the kind of Christian,
To others all around,
I was known as a prayer warrior,
With God’s love shining down.
My legacy is important,
This one thing I will leave behind,
I will try my best to fulfill it,
With body, soul, and mind.

Shannon said...

Thanks Kandis! That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!