Thursday, May 26, 2011

{rain on me}

I had mentioned this a few days ago....a big God Moment.

Those little moments {or big} in which God clearly speaks to us. 
Here in the year 2011.  It didn't just happen in Biblical times.
And, on most days, we probably miss them, sadly because we
are so crazy busy or simply fail to see it for what it is. 

This week.  It has been an emotional roller coast on speed. 
Highs and lows and lows and turns and twists. 

On Sunday, I heeded that small voice again even though I argued.
I knew despite all that I had to do {I know you are all sick of hearing that}.
But, I do have many deadlines that are simply LATE.  VERY late. 
However, I knew I needed to go to the hospital and visit Roy and Marta.
I knew it was getting close to the end and I really would rather avoid those
visits to be perfectly honest but, I knew I couldn't.  And, I had Evan in tow. 

I dropped Noah off with his buddies for a game in NWA.  And, then
Evan and I headed for Sam's for some snacks for the hospital room.
And, I picked up some flowers.  And, I strolled through the books?

A book was not on the agenda.  I knew Marta felt like doing nothing,
let alone reading.  Unless, she is like me and sometimes when sleep
refuses to come, I read.  Some of my greatest blessings have been
in those sleepless moments through the night.  I spotted a book.  Well,
I spotted several books.  But, this one, I'm not sure if it was the cover
or what but, I kept going back to it.  I had no intention when I went down that
aisle to get a book for her.   I would pick it up, then put it down. 


There were several books on hope and encouragement.   Finally,
I put it in my cart with full intentions to take it home, look it over and possibly
give it to her.   Once we were in the car, I simply prayed {well, 
pleaded would be more of an accurate description} to let me know
if I should take it with me today or wait.   I opened it nothing being marked of course.

Page 61. 

Here is a little excerpt, I will explain soon....

"Hearts Created for Hope"

We know that all things God works for the good of those who
love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. 
Romans 8: 28

Still nothing too earth shattering.  I would expect a book on hope to 
include writings on hope and the above verse.  Not too shocking.  But, wait....

"Dr. Gary Oliver and his wife Carrie are two of my heroes. {that's an important
word in and of itself for the Pickle family....} Carrie went to home to be with Jesus
in July of 2007 after a brave battle with pancreatic cancer.  Gary carries on 
in his work as a psychologist, writer, and speaker.  I've been privileged to know
him as one of my professors and a member of my church."

The writing continued explaining Carrie's hope throughout her illness and 
how Gary has carried on and where he chooses to focus.

The significance in the above besides the association with pancreatic cancer?

Carrie, well, I knew her.  Well, I didn't know her, but I knew her sort-of.

Carrie was a pivotal person in someones life that I dearly, dearly love. 
She helped my friend in ways that she carries with her to this day.   A huge
battle Carrie helped her get though.  I honestly felt like I knew her.  Carrie
knew of me because I was in the trenches beside this friend.   When
she was diagnosed, I reached out to Carrie thanking her for giving so
many blessings to my friend in helping her get through the nightmare
she was in the midst of.  I also conveyed my sorrow in her diagnosis, let
her know that I was praying for her, etc, etc, etc.  My initial contact
was an email.  She was getting THOUSANDS,  I never expected to hear
back from her.  Well, I did.  And, we stayed in contact for quite a while.
She was unbelievably encouraging to others even though she was
in a battle for her life.   Carrie was a precious soul and has impacted so
many....so even though we never met......I honestly felt as though I knew her.

I dog-tagged the page and as I left the hospital, I flipped it open
for Marta and whispered a very abbreviated explanation  -
she was amazed, had tears and told me should would be reading
it that night. 

I know that may not seem huge to anyone else.  But, of all the books.
Of all the authors that were included in the book.  Of all of the pages - 206
to be exact...............I opened it to Page 61. 

And, I read not one more page of it.  

No comments: