Tuesday, December 16, 2008

{traditions}

I love them a little too much, I think. It is borderline obsessive. Yes, it is! But, I just love how they link us to the past - a fairly recent past or a past that consists of generations. It falls along the line with me on the sense of smell. One whiff of Tropicana Fruit Punch and I am back in time drinking it with my Grandpa. When I was sick. While eating pickles. Another story, another day......but, you know what I mean. Traditions can be intense with memories. So, I try am constantly open to new ideas to become old traditions in this household. So.....this is where you come in - leave a comment on YOUR family traditions that you couldn't or wouldn't want to live without. Let's see what is out there......here are a few of ours.....

1. Opening two gifts on Christmas Eve - one a new set of PJ's and a "gift". (partially carried over from my childhood)
2. Reading the Christmas story from Luke on Christmas Eve.
3. Our Jesus Birthday Party - 3rd year running. I used to bake an Angel Food cake, but, decided to go all out a few years back.
4. Christmas Light Night. This year, I plan to pick up pizza so we can eat it in the car as we ohhhh & ahhhh.
5. The Christmas Camp-Out that I stole from the Coston family. We have tried it twice and something has happened to interrupt it both times. I'm not giving up though, another attempt this Saturday night.
6. Reading our Christmas books over the month of December. One mom I saw actually wraps hers and lets the children open one each night.
7. Our Elf Elmer - new this year! Love it!
8. Dear Santa letters (and email this year)
9. Magic Reindeer Dust....love that!

I'm certain there are more, but, I have a horrible headache and literally cannot think. So, leave a comment with your family traditions!!!!

3 comments:

Carolynn said...

Shannon--so happy to have found your blog--of course now I can't remember how--comes with being a mommy, I guess:-) Wow, reading through your traditions makes me realize I am lacking:-) We also open a gift on Christmas Eve, I get the kids pjs every year for our Christmas card pics, and we also read the Christmas story from Luke. Oh, and we also have a birthday cake for Jesus:-) We also make Santa cookies and milk, leave food for the reindeer, and write Santa a letter. I would like to start reading the Best Christmas Pagaent Ever to the kids next year, and also get some sort of advent calendar to start on December 1st. I hope you are doing well--feel free to come on over to my blog if you get the chance:-) Would love to see you sometime-have a wonderful Christmas!

kel said...

We do most of all of those.
We also do the What God wants for Christmas devotion where you hide the six boxes around the house and read the clues each box contains a part of the manger scene. You can get it at Walmart it is wonderful we do it every Christmas Eve day.
We also have a countdown to Christmas chain devotion www.countdowntochristmas.net that we do each night for 30 days till Christmas.
Of course the baking and cooking traditions and that is all I can think of right now.

kel said...

I forgot this year we added the Jesse Tree...love it.