Tuesday, January 1, 2013

{welcome 2013}

and, early onset dementia.

Seriously.

I would love to sit here at midnight and document our
fabulously cozy day spent together welcoming
in the New Year.

Well, not quite. 

Instead, I sit here in the living room freezing
because every fan we have is on high, hurricane-force
speed.  Every towel and almost every piece of linen
we own is either on my big comfy chair waiting to 
be folded {AGAIN}, or in the washer,
or in the dryer, or in the mountain of wet, soggy, soaked -
to be washed.  Oh, yes, there is a pile in the garage as well.
And, the pile that was going to the dry cleaner.  Soaked. 

I flooded the house.  

Yep, it's really not all that difficult to do.
Turn on the laundry room facet to fill the sink
and walk away with every intention to be back within 
a minute.  Two at the very most.   And, then 
just simply do not look back for oh, about 
a minimum of thirty minutes. And, 
that my friends is probably a gross
underestimation.  It sounds better at least. 

I'm seriously trying not to panic.
Words like black mold are wrestling with any
calmness I have.   Did you know that water
can travel UNDER a wall and UNDER baseboards
to the next room?  Or, the next two rooms?
It doesn't discriminate for tile, hardwood or carpet.
Not at all.  It becomes fast friends with all. 

Okay, since I am really trying not to panic.
Let's just change the subject.  

Quickly.

I've been reading my friends blogs.  And, talking
with family.  I think everyone else has packed up their 
Christmas.  It will not be a surprise to anyone that I have not.
In fact, I had decided to pack it up next week, after 
the boys had gone back to school because they {they
being the little one in particular} love it so much, I had 
decided to let them enjoy it all of Christmas break.  

That may change with the flood of 2013.

We had a very quite night at home last night, just the 
four of us.  We let the boys stay up as they were so 
excited about being awake for the New Year.  Evan
watched the clock intensely and at 11:59, got 
down on his knee, took my hand and asked me "will
you do the honor of kissing me at midnight."  Well,
Daddy had given up on midnight and retreated to bed by that time.
Of course, I obliged. And, then with all of his excitement 
and yelling that it was 2013, Scott got up and gave me one too,
not to be outdone. ;)  

Let's just say the boys SLEPT in this morning. ;}

I'm not a girl of resolutions.  But, I do have 
some goals for 2013 without question.
I LOVE a new calendar.  Or, two or three as I
mentioned before.  ;)  Love me some fresh starts. 
This year,  my quiet time and monitoring/
encouraging that of the boys is high, high on my list.  
So, I set time aside this morning and found my year verse as well
as one for each of them.   When they got up they were happy with them.  
Which makes a mama's heart very happy too. 

So, I then moved on to my frenzy of cleaning.  I have been
cleaning for DAYS and my house is a complete wreck.
Horrid.  I've been purging and deep cleaning like there is no 
tomorrow which makes the biggest mess while in the midst of it.
I have lost count of the garbage bags.  I have also used every garbage
bag we have.  Not good.  Because I am far, far from finished.  And, 
tomorrow is trash pick up and Scott thinks I've packed them too 
heavy.  Nice.  

I had just about wrapped up the laundry room purge when 
I decided to scour the sink.  I ruined and multiplied 
every ounce of progress I had made today.  Or, for the past three days.
Head hurts. 

Let's talk about something else, shall we?

How about shells?

You know that little trip to Florida we took back in August?  Well,
a huge container of shells had been pushed back behind
everything in the laundry room sink cabinet. Of course, it was
flooded today as well, so I had to go through every shell
and wash it to be dried so I could finally display them.  
They calmed me.  I can remember finding some many of them.
I walked miles and miles on that beach.  So, several of those will
be loaded into a very dingy Mason jar that I found at my
Grandpa's old homesite and will make it's way to the studio.
Shells and a {sentimental} Mason jar.....what could be better?

I have also officially played 613 games of UNO I think.
We've made cookies.
Eaten gallons of popcorn.
Made tents in the bedrooms and camped out and 
watched movies.  
Snuggled.
Played more board games.
Video games of course.  {but, not today, the 
reining in has begun}

The time is winding down quickly and I just hate it. 
I'm off to shop vac some more.
Do more laundry.
Fold more laundry.
Well, that will probably get me to 
the wee hours of the morning.

Happy New Year, everyone!  

:)







No comments: