Friday, September 10, 2010

{amazing!}

hmmmm...

Last night I had about a 30 minute stretch of time in which I wanted to break away from my desk and read. So, I grabbed one of my books. {I typically read about 5-6 books at a time} This particular one I had not picked up in probably about 3-4 weeks.

I had dog-eared a page, so I turned to it. For me, that isn't a flag of a great find to go back to...but the place I left off preceded that page....it was where I was to begin next.

I promise, this is what I read...

God will always give you everything you need to do his will, including time. Don't live in a rush. Elisabeth Elliot

Do you think that maybe someone is trying to tell me something?

That was the very same quote I had read and referenced from my morning devotion. Two different books. A 'random' booked I pulled from one of my shelves with just a little time to squeeze in a quick read.

This time it was from "How to Build Your Home on Holy Ground" by Donna Otto.

Here are a few other things that I read for the first time, but had to "re-read" because they spoke out so much to me...

"Being intentional about your life goals, your purposes and your priorities is an important antidote to cultural chaos. If you set aside time to listen to God's specific call on you life and focus your energy on fulfilling that call, you'll be far less likely to waste your time on the cultural treadmill. You'll be living your life my conviction, not circumstance...and your life will be much more peaceful."

The next page contained a quote from Elizabeth Prentiss...

"If you could once make up your mind in the fear of God never to undertake more work of any sort than you can carry on calmly, quietly, without hurry or flurry, and the instant you feel yourself growing nervous, like one out of breath, would stop and take a breath, you would find this simple common sense rule doing for you what no prayers or tears could ever accomplish."

So stopped and I took that breath last night after I laid out a plan for the busy work weekend that lies ahead of me. Then, I stopped. I put a very late family dinner on the table {don't ask what it was, but it still counts!} and the conversations that I had with both boys {all three}, but especially the time spent with Noah after everyone else retreated back to the living room were priceless.

I am amazed as always. What are the mathematical odds of that happening as I own a small scale library?

No coincidence.

I'm listening.

and, learning.

2 comments:

Mom2Three said...

Yes, that is a sign my friend, listen, listen to him....love you!

Sherry Drennan said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I needed to hear that. We are going through a situation right now...and I just needed to hear it. God is giving me constant reminders that it will be okay if we just trust him....why is that so hard??