Thursday, March 4, 2010

{parenting 101}

This is a very selfish post on my part. What to do, what to do? But, basketball season with Evan has ended and he is heartbroken. He still plays outside on the carport every day. He keeps asking when it will start again. And, in the midst, has realized how much he enjoyed basketball and how he didn't t-ball. Well, he has decided very assuredly that he does not want to play t-ball this summer. When I reminded him of his friends playing, he was a little hesitant but asked me if he would see them at church and school next year, I said yes. He said, okay then, I don't want to play. It initially came up just yesterday. Scott and I were utterly shocked. We explained over and over this is not something you can start back once we make the decision; for this year anyway. And, in his defense, I honestly did not mention t-ball to him much before signing him up, I just thought it was a given.

And, then I got REALLY excited when I learned that several of his little friends would be on this team this year; which equates to several of mommy's friends being on his team this year. I was SOOOO excited as I was already in mourning that Noah decided not to play, thus my social time with the several of those same moms would be negated. UNTIL their little ones joined our little team. I was ecstatic! Unfortunately, I had not kept Evan in the decision/equation too much.

He is very emphatic that he does not want to play. We have explained it up one side and down the other. Once he figured out he could still see his friends, his ONLY concern was the slushes. So, he has until tonight to really think it over, and I learned that his first practice is Sunday. So, based on tonight's discussion, will likely phone his coach and give him a heads-up in case someone else may need a team. I would love to see him at least go to practice on Sunday, but, I think we will let him take the lead on this. I can't let my disappointment make him do something he would not be happy with. Just can't do it.

He's only five.

And, it's not like there are any scouts camped out on our front lawn.

THE sweetest thing of all, that makes this a tad easier....when I asked him if he would like to try another sport, activity, etc....his very prompt answer: "Nope. I just want to relax this summer and fish a lot before Kindergarten. Mommy, will you fish with us too.?"

Okay, ladies....I had MUCH rather be sipping slushes and eating popcorn with you on the hot bleachers this summer. But, it looks as though I may be casting reels and using a lot of bug spray. And, in the end.....I will be just as happy on the pond bank as I would the bleachers (minus the girlfriends) but, I have to keep reminding myself...this so isn't about me.

{sniff, sniff!}

If you see me in black tomorrow......I am in mourning x 2.

Will keep you posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

addendum: just to be clear......before I get in trouble with anyone.....I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad. But, at same time, I think it will work out great for some "down" time that I think my little family is in desperate need for. So, all will be good - whatever he decides. And, we can always come watch! ;)

But, I may still be in black tomorrow. ;)

4 comments:

Erin said...

I totally get it! Blake has decided not to play this year and although I KNOW it is the best decision for him (his heart was never REALLY into it), it was sad for me. But, I do still have Evan very gung-ho, so I'll still get plenty of ball field time. Blake has decided that golf is his game, and wants to go to First Tee all summer. In the long run, golf will be so much for useful for him, so I'm proud of his decision!

Stacy Carter said...

I was thinking about you tonight as I watched practice. I already miss seeing you and Noah there!! You are going to have to come to lunches now, no excuses!! :)

Tonia Hobbs said...

I missed you tonight too. BUT I totally understand and respect the decision. Sometimes the biggest blessings are hidden in the clouds. . . but it will rain, and when it does. . .you will feel God's blessings like warm sun.

Sherry Drennan said...

I feel your pain but it sounds like you've got it together! Dane has never been much into sports and we have had to learn to let him lead. One year, we "made" him play basketball. It was PAINFUL watching him on the court. There was no interest, no skill, etc. I was embarrassed for him and felt terrible for making him play! Never again!