Tuesday, February 17, 2009

{GREAT day!!!!!!!!!}

i told someone last night, that in my prayers regarding today that i was going for the gold. and, the GOLD we got! some may view it as silver, but, in contrast to what we were planning to be told today, it was definitely a gold!

diagnostics: GREAT! wonderful growth and function

meeting with surgeon: GREAT! and, a little background for those of you who have just joined in on this ride with Noah. Noah was diagnosed when he was three. Evan was just 5 weeks old and Noah had a horrible bout with sudden abdominal pain, vomiting, etc. I immediately thought his appendix had ruptured. We rushed to the ER, they immediately got him to ultrasound, and I could tell by her face that something was very wrong. They stepped outside and phoned our pediatrician, he then phoned me in the room. He would have to be admitted and we knew we would be going to Children's.

At Children's, after grueling testing, they discovered that both of his kidneys were affected and we were assigned to Dr. R the Chief Urologist. Fast forward to our last visit, diagnostics were great, but we were told that with the next obstruction, we would have to proceed with the surgery. Our big hold-up had been his anesthesia problems (coding after a tonsillectomy, NOT a good thing. Not a good thing for a mom to ever get over). But, he was at the age that he should be growing out of it, but had not and they did not want to operate on him when he was much older as the recovery is so much more difficult. The anesthesia problems were not the concern at that point, additional kidney damage was. We learned of the magnitude of the surgery. Not a good day for us.

Well, about six or so months ago, he had another obstruction. I was devastated as it had been a year since his last, the longest we had ever gone and I was in shock that we were not in the clear and that according to the last plan, we would proceed. I felt like a terrible mom because I did not call to report it. Terrible, I know. But, I prayed and prayed and knew that if and when it happened again, I would have to. Well, it did, about 5 weeks ago on our way to church. Again, devastated, but, I knew I had to report it and I did. Thus, the appointment today.

As said, his diagnostics came back great. When we met with Dr. R to look at the results, his first question......was about the details of the obstructions. We started reviewing the ultrasounds beginning in 2006 because it was at that point that every year since they have gotten worse. Until today, I did not even realize that fully. On a scale from 0-5, when first diagnosed his left kidney was a 4 and his right kidney was a 2-3. His right kidney had actually improved to a 1-2 during this time period, but his right kidney had gotten down to a 3-4 but was back up to a 4+. Not good. But, the obstructions had decreased in frequency and he was still so young, so we were hopeful. Today, his right kidney is a O - which is PERFECT!!! And, we had MAJOR improvement in the left kidney to the point it is better than it was in 2006. Yea!!! In fact, we could not have it graded because his bladder was so full and it was still dilated - so, in reality, it was actually most likely better than it even appeared because it is at its worst point when the bladder if full. When Dr. R first saw it, he jumped up a little off his stool and as soon as he explained it to us - Noah looked at the three of us and thought we had lost our minds. We had not told Noah how big today was as I decided to just deal with whatever we were told at that time. So, he never got the magnitude of the news. He was just ready to go eat lunch.

So, the plans have changed.......now we just continue to watch. He told us he could not guarantee us that the surgery would not happen, but there was not a need for it now. He explained that things can change quickly, but that we are at the point he feels like the odds are for us and not against us. I will take that any day! Especially today, I needed that.

So, I am on Cloud 9! The trip home did not even compare to that long trip down there this morning. I think I managed to say a few words this morning, but, could not stop talking and smiling all the way home.

And, as a bonus, he diagnosed Evan while we were there. He no longer even sees children with the problems he has been having because it can be handled over the phone. We are to continue the med that he has been on (do pray for Evan, this has been a struggle, poor thing) at a different dosage for three months - but, regardless, it should resolve completely by the time he is five.

Seriously, it could not have been a better day!

I can't thank everyone enough for their concern, sweet words and prayers over the past few weeks. Believe me, it worked. I feel like I can tackle the world now! But, I may wait until tomorrow due to the fact, I didn't sleep last night & actually may not tonight as I'm beside myself excited.

Thank you all sooooooooooooo much! We love you!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

PRAISE THE LORD!! I'm so excited for you! I'm so thankful that you got to experience such joy.

the alder boys said...

Yea Shannon!!! I am so happy for you and your family! You all deserve it more than anyone I know!!

Erin said...

I'm so thankful!! I've been praying for you guys all day! I'm so relieved for you and hope you have a GREAT nights sleep...