Sunday, September 16, 2012

{tweak, tweak, tweak - laundry detergent}

Finally.
 
I have combined some different components of
different recipes and found one that I love and
am very happy with. 
 
Wanted to share as I had been asked.
 
Considering you only use 1-2 Tbsp per load,
this will last us for quite a while.  Happy about that!  

Homemade Laundry Detergent



 
1 (4 lb 12 oz)  box of Borax 
 
1 (3 lb) Container of Oxyclean - this is completely optional but with
the THREE boys and the farm - pretty necessary for me.
 
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of finely grated soap - {zote (apparently has a good scent),
Fels Naptha (this scent is not right for me at all) or my choice Ivory}   
 
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda

1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
 
1-2 (55 oz) Containers of Purex Fabric Softner Crystals {completely optional
but, I needed the clothes to be soft}

and,

if you love scents as much as I do....

I added in a bottle of Downy Unstoppables.

Remember that farm + 3 boys.

Enough said! ;)
 
And, that is it!  I just got a big container and layered it as I went
to make mixing easier.  Scooped out some into a wide mouth Mason
Jar and that was it.  The most difficult part is grating the soap. {wink} 

I use this in my front loader, HE.  Everything I have
researhed states this is perfectly fine to use - but, you 
may want to check that out yourself.   :)

2 comments:

Teresa M. said...

Shannon, you recipe was similar to the one I used. I didn't have the baking soda in mine, though? Just the washing soda. Wonder if I should? I don't use fabric softener on my towels (seems like I read somewhere that it makes them less absorbent). I used my food processor to grate the soap!! I have 3 boys + husband + 2 yr. old, so the oxy-clean was a must for me too!!! Making the laundry detergent really made me feel like Susie Homemaker! Thanks for sharing.

Teresa M. said...

Oh, me again. Just noticed, I have Borax in place of the baking soda.